Monday, December 22, 2014


Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 


Saratoga County

Christmas decorations spark fire at DPW building

  • Text size: + -
Albany/HV: DPW storage facility catches fire in Pittsfield
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

PITTSFIELD, Mass. -- Christmas decorations sparked a fire in the Department of Public Works building in Pittsfield. The fire started around 8:45 a.m. on the second floor.

Firefighters say Christmas decorations were stored too close to a gas heater, starting the flames.

One firefighter was taken to the hospital for burns to the neck and ears but was later released.

"We found heavy smoke emitting from the garage, upper levels, from the windows at the time of our arrival. Our response was fairly quick because we have a station that’s probably a thousand yards down the road. The initial report was that we had a fire on the second floor," said Michael Polidoro, Pittsfield Fire Department.

Firefighters say the building itself has minor damage. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP